How Could It Be is Eddie Murphy's debut musical studio album that was released on July 20, 1985 by Columbia Records.
- Do I 3:56
- C-O-N Confused 3:41
- How Could It Be (featuring Crystal Blake) 4:39
- I Wish (I Could Tell You When) 4:28
- Party All The Time (featuring Rick James) 4:12
- I, Me, Us, We 4:41
- My God Is Color Blind 4:42
- Everything's Coming Up Roses 4:34
"How Could It Be" peaked at #26 on the Billboard 200 and #17 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. It was certified gold by the RIAA with certified units/sales of 500,000.
Robert Christgau gave the album a "C" minus, writing that it "also typifies the one-worlder cheerleading of a lyricist who can't be as bright as we'd hoped him to be in his finest moments--he's got politics like Jerry Lewis, only with less soul."
Allmusic's Jason Ellis wrote: "Despite his best intentions, How Could It Be is often marred by its lack of great material, and Murphy's voice is thin and often lacking control."